The official name of the municipality has always been Hindang since the town's establishment in 1680. Legend has it that the name was derived from a very large tree named "Indang' which used to stand in the northern part of the town.
This tree, to the villagers represented beauty and majesty and into its significance were woven stories of its past, sometimes charming and sometimes ghostly. It was told that the tree was "enchanted" for there were stones of fairies or beautiful damsels with long flowing hair basking under it on moonlit nights. There was a ghostly tale also of how a man committed suicide by hanging himself from one of the branches. When his body was discovered, the place became haunted by a voice in agony, a long silence then mournful weeping followed by a remorseful sigh.
The founders of the town were Rev. Fr. Bales, the parish priest at the time, Mission Alejandro, a prominent citizen and the capitanes Damos Banez, Irong Ballener and Beo Abddies.
Unfortunately, records of pre-Spanish times have been destroyed by fire and typhoons.
During the Spanish regime when the influence of the church on the state was to a considerable extent, the Castillian friars established schools in which religion was the most important subject. It is to the discredit of the early missionaries that the harsh treatment received by the pupils from their first teachers caused a great number of them to choose to remain ignorant rather than suffer the harsh punishment meted out to them for slight mistakes.
Like other coastal towns, Hindang suffered very much from Moro depredations. However, despite heavy lootings, the town managed to recover each time and was able to rebuild what the pirates carried off or destroyed.
The natives were quite ignorant of the elementary ruled of hygiene and sanitation, resulting in cholera and smallpox epidemics which took a heavy toll of lives from 1885 to 1895. Thousands succumbed to the dreaded diseases until late in 1895 when the epidemic naturally spent itself.
The town folk of Hindang are essentially a musical-minded group and even during
the Spanish times used to hold frequent band concerts. Dramas portraying the
rivalry between the Moros and the Christians for supremacy were often depicted.
“Pastores" and "tombolas" were held especially during the
More public schools were established during the American regime. Government offices which used to be held by Americans were slowly being opened to deserving Filipinos. At the outbreak of the First World War, many Hindang residents volunteered for service. They were sent to Manila for training before finally being shipped to the fronts.
In 1911, a long drought and one of the most destructive typhoons to hit the province caused near famine to the impoverished population. Some of the leaders during this period who helped put Hindang back on the road to recovery were Don Miguel Abamo, Don Leon Fernandez, Marciano Rodriguez and Estanislao Pecson. Capitan Nemesio Delalamon was the last of the presidentes during this period.
The Japanese occupation of 1942 to 1944 gave the natives of Hindang reason for apprehension. The physical torture, suffered by the town folk from the Japanese invaders, were heightened by consultant fear of bodily harm two guerrilla factions who were fighting for supremacy. Only the timely mediation of Colonel Kangleon prevented the guerrilla groups from destroying each other. Unified by the Colonel, the group helped destroy the hold of the Japanese on the town.
The long sufferings front the Japanese occupation finally came to an end when on October 1944, the Americans came to liberate the country.
On July 4, 1946, the granting of independence to the Philippines led to the initiation of government projects like irrigation systems, schoolhouses and a public market. Even the remotest barrio received instruction in public elementary schools.
The Saint Michael College, a private religious institution was established. Graduates of Hindang High Schools did not have to cross to Cebu to continue their education,
Hindang depends on the sea for part of its livelihood, being a coastal town.